Sonntag, 17. März 2013

Hooks and their weights

When you are looking at your rod's casting weight you should be aware that some manufacturers refer to the weight of a rigged lure (e.g. Carpenter, Smith) and some seem to refer to the weight of the lure excluding hooks and all (e.g. Ripple Fisher). In the first case, it is important to know how much your hooks and split rings weigh. Hence, I ordered some different hooks and weighed them. Here are the results:

Triple hooks:
Owner ST-76TN 3/0 8,9 grams
Owner ST-76TN 4/0 12,7 grams
Owner ST-76TN 5/0 18,9 grams

Single Hooks:
Owner Jobu 9/0 12,3 grams
Owner SJ-41TG 13/0 9,8 grams

Split rings:
Kazax 180-300lb 1,7 grams
Owner HyperWire #11 1,8 grams

And since I was already weighing stuff I also weighed two of my lures (Heru Wahoo 125 and Gunz 120 Sinking) and I noticed that both of them weighed about 7 grams more than indicated by the manufacturers. So be aware that what you buy is not exactly what you get.

Let's put all that together and assume that I rig my Heru Wahoo 125 with a baker rig at the belly (consisting of the two Owner SJ-41TH 13/0 hooks plus one split ring) and one single assist hook (Owner Jobu 9/0 plus one split ring) at the tail then the rigs alone would weigh 35,3 grams all together. Consider that (plus a split ring and a swivel on the nose of the lure) and your (supposedly) 125 grams lure suddenly weighs about 170 grams!

Why am I telling you all that? Well, my rod supports 200 grams casting weight so I thought let's buy a Heru Wahoo 150. But then I though twice and decided to get some terminal tackle first and weight it and that was a good decision. Because, if I rigged the Heru Wahoo 150 then it would weigh about 200 grams and while that might be just ok usually the maximum limit is not the comfort weight. So in case you don't have a Ripple Fisher rod (that apparently refers to the lures weight excl. terminal tackle) then you might want to consider the terminal tackle's weight before buying lures.

I will buy some more different hooks in the future and update my list accordingly. Hope this helps. Tight lines!

UPDATE: There's a list of hook sizes and weights here in the Hammerhead website and another list here on Gamefishing India's Blog.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen